Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Next Step...

(Alright this blogging thing I'm not so great at so bare with me.) My new endocrinologist has helped me get to where I am now. I have to say, I went into the first appointment well armored. I had Scott (my husband) with me, my binder full of notes and lab results, my picture time line, I was ready. Of course though like the other appointments the brain fog or just forgetfulness sets in. Did I mention the brain fog as a symptom? I am in the middle of sentences, of explaining my symptoms and why I needed a new endo (he was my second and final opinion) and I would just lose my train of thought. By the end of the first appointment with my new bff, I knew that the first endo was a little off her game. I was given just a couple of more salivary tests passed those with high results. The next test was the MRI. They found a 3mm tumor on the right anterior position of the pituitary gland. WOW, Hello, we knew it was going to be something, but to actually get the result was, well SHOCKING! I mean, I was excited, we finally had a reason for all of the "craziness". At the same time though, I was (am)terrified!! Well on to the next testing step in this Cushing's journey. I was scheduled for a PSS (Petrosal Sinus Sampling). This test is where they put catheters into the groin in each leg and threaded up to the pituitary gland on each side of it. ACTH levels in the blood are measured. The results are used to determine whether ACTH production is due to either a pituitary or a non-pituitary source. In my case the numbers were sky high and just helped to prove the MRI results. Yes there is definitely a tumor and yes I have Cushing's disease. Now what comes next? Well I have my appointment with the neurosurgeon in August. Woohoo, I'm gonna get there sooner or later, so I can get back to ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment