Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Appointment with the Neurosurgeon

On August 12, I had my appointment with the neurosurgeon at Washington University. My endocrinologist is also up there. The appt. went very well. I was ready for him as well. I had my list of questions and Scott there to back me up. I kept having him read the questions to ask the doctor. I just knew I would forget, or get caught up in the words and not be able to spit them out. Honestly there wasn't even a need for the wonderful list of questions courtesy of Linda P at www.cushings-help.com/lindap-tips.htm . Obviously for my own personal info there was an absolute need for them. Dr. C went straight down the list without me ever pulling it out.



We looked at the MRI (first time I had seen it) and went over the PSS results, the symptoms, and a quick neuro exam which was follow the finger, touch your nose kind of thing. Dr. C went right into "this is what we can do". The surgery is called an endoscopic transsphenoidal resection of the pituitary. By the end of the appt. I had no questions for him, except how soon? And well... here I am 1 DAY awayfrom my surgery.

Transsphenoidal surgery is performed to remove tumors from the pituitary gland, sellar region, and sphenoid sinus of the skull. The surgeon approaches the pituitary through the nose. The surgery can be performed with a microscope or more commonly with an endoscope in a minimally invasive technique. Pituitary tumors cause a variety of hormone problems and can grow to large size, compressing important nerves and arteries at the base of the brain. When this occurs, surgery is needed to remove the tumor, especially when vision is at risk. Tumor removal often reverses endocrine problems and restores normal hormone balance.

What is transsphenoidal surgery?
Transsphenoidal literally means “through the sphenoid sinus.” It is a surgical procedure performed through the nose and sphenoid sinus to remove pituitary tumors (Fig. 1). Transsphenoidal surgery can be performed with a microscope, endoscope, or both. The procedure is often a team effort between neurosurgeons and ear, nose, and throat (ENT) surgeons. A traditional microscopic technique uses a skin incision under the lip and removal of a large portion of the nasal septum so that the surgeon can directly see the area. A minimally invasive technique, called endoscopic endonasal surgery, uses a small incision at the back of the nasal cavity and causes little disruption of the nasal tissues. The ENT surgeon works through the nostrils with a tiny camera and light called an endoscope. In both techniques, bony openings are made in the nasal septum, sphenoid sinus, and sella to reach the pituitary. Once the pituitary is exposed, the neurosurgeon removes the tumor. www.mayfieldclinic.com

I meet with the ENT surgeon on the 26th at 7:30am and then at 2:30 in the afternoon I go for the Stealth MRI and Stealth CT. >>


1 comment:

  1. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like,Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete